Who I Am
My name is John Barham and I’m a freelance software engineer based in Footscray, Victoria, Australia.
I have 20+ years of industry experience underpinned by an Honours B. Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Toronto, the top university in Canada.
What I Do
My technical expertise is Django web application development and high performance distributed systems development in Go (aka Golang) and/or Python.
For more details about my work history see my resume.
Why Hire Me
Highlights of my career so far include:
- working with the technical Academy Award winning team at Lowry Digital Images in Burbank, California, on the digital restoration of dozens of classic Hollywood films
- designing and developing a distributed grid computation engine at PIMCO, one of the world’s top investment management firms
- managing the development team for some of Australia’s busiest web and ecommerce sites, including: Melbourne Cup, Sportsgirl, Cotton On
- founding multiple online businesses
In short, I have a lengthy track record of designing and developing complex software systems that have been used in production 24/7 and have helped to deliver millions of dollars in value.
My daily rate is $1200 for contracts of up to three months. For longer contracts my rate is $1000/day.
For interstate travel within Australia I charge an additional flat rate of $500/day.
How I Work
I work fast with my chosen toolset, so generally speaking the more prepared you are, the more productive I (and your money) can be.
I develop and deploy on Linux. I have deployed software to basic VPS hosting providers like Digital Ocean and Linode, as well as more full featured cloud computing platforms such as Heroku and AWS.
For an initial consultation I’m happy to meet you at your office in greater Melbourne, or have you meet me at my office in Footscray.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answer to the following questions is “yes”:
- Are you an Australian citizen?
- Are you open to remote working?
- Are you willing to travel within Australia for on-site visits of up to one week?